Monday, June 27, 2011

Museum of South Texas History

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

            On Tuesday I went to my class and afterwards I headed over to the Museum of South Texas History. I went to the front desk and met a lady named Sandra who told me that I only had to pay five dollars for the entrance fee because I was a student. She also recommended me to go upstairs first and look at the exhibits before going downstairs and into the jail section. I had previously printed my self-guided tour that told me step by step on what to do and go. I knew this was going to help me take full advantage of my visit and guarantee me that I will not miss anything on my visit. I did not follow it exactly how it said but did try. I first went upstairs and began with prehistoric animals that were found in south Texas. Then I moved on to the explorers who discovered these lands and the Native Americans. This exhibit had artifacts and replicas that went in sequence with the South Texas history. Once I was finished with the second floor I went downstairs to the left side of the building, called the River Crossroads, to see the changes of transportation throughout time here in South Texas. It also exhibits different artifacts like telephones that where used long ago. It provides pictures and has a small theater that shows the history of south Texas. After seeing everything I went to the Old Jail that exhibits parts of the jail that once served its purpose. I went to the hanging room where one man, Abraham was hanged. After stepping out of the building I saw an enormous windmill that caught my attention. It is surrounded native plants, which make it very scenic.
            I truly enjoyed my visit to this wonderful museum. I learned a lot of history that I did not know about. This museum made me travel through prehistoric time to today because they are continuously adding more history to it. It also has a permanent exhibition on Freddy Gonzalez who is a winner of the Medal of Honor for his heroic service in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment