Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Exhibitions


The Jacal Exhibition
I enjoyed my visit at the Museum of South Texas History and especially the River Frontier section where it illustrates the geological origins of South Texas. Its collection is offered in state-of-the-art exhibitions that offer an informative, enlightening and fascinating experience to all who visit. The exhibition that I found very interesting was the jacal, which is a house made of straw. Spanish colonist started building jacales in Texas in the mid 1700’s and people still continued to build them through the 1900’s.  Inside the jacal there was a stove made from stone which was a replica of a real one found in one of the ranches in McAllen Texas. What caught my attention was a woman’s voice coming out of the jacal. The woman was putting her baby to sleep by singing a Spanish lullaby. I was touched by it because my mother used to sing it to me when I was a child.
Alamo Exhibitions
The Alamo is filled with rich history in its inner walls where you will find artifacts like guns, canyons, canyon balls and much more. Diaries and letters during the battle are there to be read and sadly enough they were the cause of us staying much longer than we thought. We almost missed the history talk given by an Alamo staff in the Calvary Courtyard. I could not stop reading them and just thinking that they knew there lives would terminate soon. The defenders of the Alamo where writing their last goodbyes to their loved ones knowing that they did not have a chance against the Mexican army that outnumbered them by thousands. In one of the plates there was letter from William B. Travis saying he knew this was his last battle but that he preferred to die as a soldier defending his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment